Toshiba Tecra M2
There were a number of different laptop models released by Toshiba over the years under the "Tecra" label -- these laptops usually are their business range and components don't change much over time although they do get up-specced. What works here is faily generic for the range but may not be exactly correct for your model.
1. Hardware information
1.1. Standard Features
- 14" screen, not widescreen, 1024x768.
NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 with 128MB graphics memory.
- RAM up to 4GB
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
- Intel(R) PRO/1000 gigabit network adapter
- Installation was done from the CentOS network boot disk from an NFS server.
- Ethernet network adapter is detected at boot time by the installer so there are no issues with the installer.
- Alternatively, installation can be done from DVD+/-R.
2.2. Post-installation notes
Pretty much everything on this laptop works out of the box.
- CD/DVD read: No problem
- CD/DVD write: No problem
- LAN: No problem
- Wireless: No problem
- Sound: No problem
Video: No problem, although I post-installed the binary NVidia drivers for extra performance (downloaded from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html).
- USB: No problem
- Firewire: Not installed
- Media card reader: Not installed
- Touchpad or other pointing device: No problem
- Accelerator buttons (music, DVD, web, other): Not installed
- Adaptive CPU speed: No problem
- Sense battery level: No problem
- Suspend (manual): No problem
- Suspend (close lid): No problem
2.4. Models tested
A previous install of the upstream vendor's distribution on which CentOS-4 was based had no issues, although in some kernel revisions there was no working sound driver. An update to the latest CentOS-4 kernel should resolve this issue.