Cloud Instance SIG
SIG Status: Production
Board Member Helping Bootstrap : KaranbirSingh
Abstract: The CentOS Cloud Instance SIG is coming together to focus on the CentOS Linux cloud instances, either on or off premise or in third party Vendor establishments. We are a non vendor, non technology and non agent specific focus group ( but we will gladly work with and build content to suite a specific niche or vendor ecosystem ).
We are still in the planning stages, where we hope to :
- Create scope of what this SIG will focus on
- Create expectations around how we might interface with other SIGs ( specially the Cloud Infra SIG )
Setup some sort of work practices on how we interface with Vendors ( AWS / GCE / HPCloud / BrightBox etc )
- Plan on how we build Instance Images and a toolchain around it
- Setup and run an instance testing process ( perhaps in sync with ci.dev.centos.org )
- Manage the cloud instance delivery process via cloud.centos.org
- Release planning and coordination with the Core SIG
- Create a set of standards that one might expect all CentOS Linux images to meet
The Proposal is now online.
Sources in this case implies what it is that we ship.
- CentOS-6.x ( ideally for every released version / arch )
- CentOS-5.x ( ideally for every released version / arch )
- CentOS Update service ( i.e a mirror.centos.org instance that can be bootstrapped locally, either on premise, or within the vendor ecosystem, run by either the consuming end user or the vendor )
We would like to ship easy to consume, pre scripted to contextualise on demand images for :
- IaaS Cloud Controllers
- Vendor Ecosystems
AmazonWebServices ( http://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/AWS ) We need the following images for every release:
Apart from the targets themselves, we need to scope up what file formats, metadata and delivery mechanism is to be consumed in every one of the targets.
Our code lives at git.centos.org ( https://git.centos.org/project/sig-cloud-instance ) and is mirrored at github.com/CentOS ( https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-build )
4. Joining the SIG
All our conversations take place on the CentOS-Devel mailing list ( http://lists.centos.org/ ) and we are on irc at #centos-devel on irc.freenode.net
Existing members of this SIG ( please add your name here ):
- Laurentiu Pancescu
- Zach Marano ( Representing: Google Compute Engine )
- Ajay Seetharam ( Representing: Oracle Cloud )
- Stephen Zarkos ( Representing: Microsoft Azure )
- David Duncan ( Representing: Amazon Web Services )
5. Editing this page
All SIG members should be able to edit this page, if you are unable to do so, please get in touch on the centos-docs list or contact one of the existing members.