Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) SIG
SIG Status: Active
Board Member Helping Bootstrap: KarstenWade
The CentOS NFV (Network Function Virtualization) SIG will provide a CentOS-based stack that will serve as a platform for the deployment and testing of virtual network functions (VNFs) and NFV component packages on compliant CentOS platform.
- Provide a vehicle for CentOS users to deploys selected components for an OPNFV compliant software stack
Provide an environment for cooperation between different layered projects and SIGs requiring a common set of NFV related packages, as OpenStack and oVirt projects.
- Provide all packages for deploying high performance software data planes on a compliant CentOS platform
- Enable the packaging and integration of selected patches and versions of components to satisfy performance constraints of NFV use-cases
- Provide documentation and tools that can be used to deploy the stack on a cluster of physical hosts
- All code and component projects will be under OSI-approved licenses.
Mailing List and Communication
Work for the NFV SIG relevant to CentOS build systems, etc. will take place on centos-devel. Work related to which components and packages should be included will take place on the OPNFV project's mailing lists. Most of the discussion as to NFV tech choices to happen on the centos-devel list? As there is a bit of a mix around upstreams (OPNFV is distribution integrator, but it consists of multiple upstream players ultimately), such as fd.io/vpp it might be worth exposing those discussions on the centos-devel list. It is the intent to avoid duplicating work in cloud SIG but to build packages necessary for NFV that are not otherwise available.
Current members (under review):
- Alan Pevec
- Alfredo Moralejo
- Christophe Fontaine
- Dominik Holler
- Joel Capitao
- Leif Madsen
- Tom Herbert
- Yatin Karel
Current SIG chair: AlfredoMoralejo ThomasHerbert
The NFV SIG will initially meet bi-weekly until all pieces are in place for regular releases, then as needed.
Proposed meeting times are biweekly starting on 29-July-2020 at 1300 UTC.
- Time: 15:00 UTC - Wednesdays (odd weeks) (date -d "1500 UTC")
- Where: IRC- Freenode - #centos-meeting
- Meetings not necessarily held every single week but will meet most weeks. However, they can always be held upon request.
Agenda will be available in https://hackmd.io/oRe_HVJiTteDI4H332ApMw
Roadmap and (Action) TODO List
- Initial package set:
- Networking extra packages:
- haproxy 2.X
- Provide users documentation to deploy and use the provided packages
- Establish test / QA processes
- Define release cadence and criteria
Information for consumers
Installing OpenvSwitch and/or OVN
Currently two streams of openvswitch/ovn are available, 2.11 and 2.13.
Enable the NFV SIG OpenvSwitch repo:
# dnf install centos-release-nfv-openvswitch
- To install openvswitch:
# dnf install openvswitch2.11 network-scripts-openvswitch2.11
# dnf install openvswitch2.13 network-scripts-openvswitch2.13
- To install ovn:
# dnf install ovn2.11[-host|-vtep]
# dnf install ovn2.13[-host|-vtep]
Installing networking extra packages
Enable the NFV SIG extras repo:
# dnf install centos-release-nfv-extras
To install haproxy 2.X:
# dnf install haproxy