Special Interest Groups (called SIG from here ) are smaller groups within the CentOS community that focus on a small set of issues, in order to either create awareness or to focus development along a specific topic. Each SIG includes a dedicated section on the wiki, along with the names of the people involved in that SIG. If they need one, a mailing list can also be setup as well as any other resources they might need ( eg. a SCM system, web hosting space, admin services etc ).
Setting up a new SIG
Anyone can setup a SIG. To do so, you must request a new Special interest group to be started, here is what needs to be done:
- Look at the presently functional SIG's and make sure that your effort will not overlap with another team
- Open a new discussion topic in the CentOS-Devel mailing list, asking for comments
- One of the CentOS Devteam members will need to join the effort, once that happens then you can :
- Request a new mailing list to be created
- Request a wiki section to be setup
- If the SIG needs a version control system to be setup, that can also be requested
- Get listed as a SIG on this page
We expect each SIG to meet some basic requirements, these include :
- The topic for the group must be related to CentOS, or a use scenario for CentOS
- There must be adequate control and feedback into the CentOS community
- No communication within the SIG must be private, all efforts must be public
- All code produced within the SIG must be GPL compatible
- All documentation produced within the SIG must be compatible with the License of this wiki
- We would expect teams to be watchful of general CentOS directions from the Devteam
- At least one member, need not be the lead, in the SIG needs to be a member of the CentOS Devteam. We are not trying to enforce any moderation, however, we feel that each SIG needs someone pushing the work that is being done from the inside.
SIG's presently functional
SIG's currently being created
Here is a list of SIG's that people are requesting, or would be desireable to have. If you want to join one of these SIG's, please add your name to the wiki page for the group.
- CentOS Promotions : A dedicated set of people who can manage, organise and handle exibitions and other CentOS Specific promotions